Environmental Allergies Treatment
We Provide Premier Treatment For Allergies
Bella Vista ENT & Facial Plastic Surgery provides professional environmental allergies treatment in Thousand Oaks, CA. Our allergy team is highly-trained in conducting thorough environmental allergies testing so that you can live a better and more fulfilling life. Our conveniently located Thousand Oaks office provides allergy care for Ventura County, Agoura Hills, Calabasas, Encino, Tarzana, West Hills, Woodland Hills, and Newbury Park patients. If you think you might be suffering from environmental allergies of any kind, reach out to our office today and get tested.
What Are Environmental Allergies?
Environmental allergies are immune systems’ overreaction to something in our everyday surroundings that’s typically otherwise harmless. This immune overreaction directly responds to triggers that you inhale or come into contact with during day-to-day activities. Sometimes, this immune system response is referred to as hay fever or allergic rhinitis.
The Symptoms Of Environmental Allergies
Environmental allergy symptoms vary person-to-person. If you have environmental allergies, you may notice a wide range of signs and symptoms – and you may even mistake them for being a common cold. The symptoms of environmental allergies can include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Runny Nose
- Nasal Congestion
- Shortness Of Breath
- Watery Eyes
The Causes Of Environmental Allergies
Environmental allergy causes can include a wide range of factors. An allergic reaction takes place when the immune system tries to fight an allergen, even if that allergen may not be a threat in itself. Before a treatment plan can ever be made, the allergens you are allergic to must first be identified. Common environmental allergens include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Pollen – This common allergen travels through the air with the help of wind, insects, and other animals. Symptoms of a pollen allergy might include sneezing, watery eyes, or an itchy throat.
- Pet Dander – Along with pet dander, pet salvia and urine can sometimes cause allergic reactions. Symptoms of pet-related allergies can include sneezing, itching, coughing, and hives.
- Dust Mites – These microscopic bugs are one of the most common indoor allergens. They can live inside the carpet, bedding, upholstery, stuffed toys, bedding, and more. Dust mites prefer warm and humid environments, so related allergies tend to flare in the spring and summer.
- Mold – Mold thrives in damp environments but can be found outdoors and indoors if the conditions are right. Mold spores are capable of causing mild to severe allergic reactions. Symptoms of a mold-related allergy can include itchy skin, trouble breathing, and coughing.
- Cigarette Smoke – If you already have pre-existing allergy symptoms, cigarette smoke can irritate and worsen them. Avoiding secondhand smoke exposure is imperative.
How To Treat Environmental Allergies
Once you’ve been diagnosed with an environmental allergy, there are various treatment options for you to consider. One treatment option is medication, either over-the-counter medication or prescription medication. An over-the-counter option might be an antihistamine, such as Cetirizine (Zyrtec) and Loratadine (Claritin). While antihistamines can help with seasonal and environmental allergies, they are not meant to be taken for the long term. Severe allergies may call for prescription medications. Another treatment option is allergen immunotherapy, such as allergy shots, which are given over the course of a few years. These shots are proven to improve and reduce allergy symptoms. Additional treatment options include allergy drops. We tailor our treatment options to our patients.
Contact Our Professional Team Today
The professional team at Bella Vista ENT & Facial Plastic Surgery has served the Thousand Oaks, CA community for many years. We offer our allergy patients an environmental allergies test to help them pinpoint what’s causing their reaction. Once the cause is determined, we can develop a top-of-the-line treatment plan tailored specially to them. Check out our patient testimonials to learn what our current patients think about our team and our services. We also offer various free patient resources. To schedule a consultation with our expert team, contact us today.